.

puzzle pieces

Friday, November 2, 2018

Connection in a “connected” world.

In just over 2 weeks I leave for Haiti.
I have to be honest when I say I have anxiety over certain parts of it.
And yet, I know I’m supposed to go.

Throughout the last few months we have been training as a team to go down into Haiti . My outlook has already changed on why and how I’m going.

Originally it was to help and assist in any way I am needed. That hasn’t changed.
But now... the focus is relationship.

Relationship is Lost in today’s society.
So is connection.

Look around you. How many times do we sit in a waiting room staring at our phones.
How many times do people come into our work place, and instead of making conversation, we say only the minimum amount of words needed in order to get to our next item on our own to-do list.


Throughout this last month I’ve been practising relationship.
Sitting in an office the other day i purposed not to pick up my phone. I looked around to see if there was anyone else not staring at a screen. I was lucky to find two elderly women sitting in a corner by themselves.  I sat down  beside them. For 10 minutes we had the most delightful and wonderful conversation. I learned about them and their adult children and what they have been doing in the last few months. As they got up to leave when they were called, one of them turned to me and said, “thank you for a wonderful visit. “

I have been trying to do this  each and every day. Whether it is at work, at the grocery store, sitting and waiting for an appointment, or just out on one of my walks....relationship and connecting with others has  been in the forefront of my mind and heart.

As I prepare to go to Haiti, this sticks with me. I’m practising it now. I will do it in Haiti. And when I return, I hope and pray it will remain with me. Our world needs more of this.

Purpose to connect with somebody today.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An outstanding share! I've just forwarded this onto a coworker who was doing a little homework on this.
And he in fact ordered me dinner because I stumbled upon it for him...
lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for the meal!!
But yeah, thanks for spending some time to discuss this topic here on your web site.