.

puzzle pieces

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

New Food

I never intended us to start "eating healthy" when we decided to enter these triathlons this spring/summer.
It just happened somehow.
I'm not saying we never eat our share of sugar and other "snacks"....but for some reason I got lured into this "Eat Clean" eating by certain family members.
Never thought eating like this would taste quite so good...but it does.
Well....I think so.
Just the words "Eat Clean" and "no sugar" and "more fruits and vegetables" strike fear in certain kids for some reason.
Even if I do change the recipe and, (gasp), add sugar-
if it comes out of my "Eat Clean" recipe book I seem to have to "encourage" the meal.
(What words can do....'cause it tastes great! Really!)

Berry Flax Protein Shakes

Crustless Quiche with Spinach and Feta
7 Grain Cereal Porridge (can't give up my brown sugar though!)
                         
Sweet Potato Fries

Broiled Grapefruit with Maple Syrup


      Orange Julius with Soy


And one of my favorites....
Banana Date Breakfast Bread

[Recipe is altered by me a tiny bit. ]
I'm not a banana fan so I took a couple out, added more dates, and made a few changes elsewhere.
I'm sure it could be altered to your taste too:)

1 banana
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup apple sauce
4 eggs
(combine above ingredients- blend well)
1 1/2 cups brown flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp sea salt
(combine these dry ingredients and mix well with egg mixture)
Fold in.....2 cups chopped dates
and
pour batter into loaf pan and sprinkle whole flaxseeds on top.
Bake at 350 for approximately 45 minutes.


No one complains about this for breakfast.
(and I really didn't think I even liked dates before I tried it.)

Healthy...er, um, I mean.....Happy Eating!


2 comments:

Melissa A said...

It all looks so yummy. Can you come and cook for me. My husband and I have been on a high protein and no sugar diet since before I went on my trip. I joined a gym and go to see a personal trainer once a week and he put me on the diet. I felt really good on the diet, because all we eat is fresh vegetables, lots of salad, fruit and lean protein meats and lots of eggs too. I lost 9 pound before Israel and didn't gain any since the trip, but now I have to get back into the swing of things. Looking to lose 31 more pounds. Good for you for being such a great Mom and getting your kids to exersize and eat good too.

Dawn said...

oh i would love to come visit! (and eat!:) it does make a person feel better to eat healthy for some reason...:))) I think it's harder for me than them though....