.

puzzle pieces

Monday, February 15, 2010

Monday Musings

Nothing really exciting happened today.
But it was a good day.
It was quiet.
And I did get a cross-country ski in, which meant I had time to think.

I've been pondering a few things lately. And in a sort of way they all fall into the same kind of category....

First, did you know that it took an Egyptain king TWENTY YEARS to build the Great Pyramid? He designed it with secret passages and dead ends, stuffing rocks into the entrance and building a secret passgage way out. This of course was so that no one could break in and steal his possessions that he was going to be buried with- things to take into his next life such as furniture and books, clothes and jewelry, and even a full-sized boat! TWENTY YEARS he spent on this!!!!

Then I was thinking of the Cicada- a type of insect. Did you know that after it hatches, it digs its way below the surface of the ground, and lives on the sap from tree roots as larvae for SEVENTEEN YEARS!!! It then uses it's powerful legs to crawl back to the surface to climb the nearest tree. They fasten to the bark, change into adults after breaking free of their exoskeleton, and live for a mere month!

And closer to our world....the Olympic Athelete. He trains for FOUR YEARS- Only to spend roughly 24 seconds on a mountain side covered in moguls- all in hopes of winning a gold medal. Four Years!!!

I know that these 3 things aren't really related at all. But 20 years building your tomb, 17 years underground as a larva only to die within a month of coming back up, and 4 years or training for 24 seconds....wow.

Why do we spend time on things? Why do we invest our time doing the things we do?
We humans are interesting. So is nature. There seems to be a Purpose for everything.
And so there should be.
What would we live for if there was no purpose?

The days I feel down, are the days I feel there is no reason for what I do.
We all need a reason to get up in the morning. Whether it's a long-term goal or just a day to day purpose to live.
I don't think any of us could survive- at least happily-  without a purpose for something.
(I just don't know if I would want to spend 20 years of my life building a place to be buried:)

Just my thoughts on this quiet Monday...

No comments: