.

puzzle pieces

Friday, July 2, 2010

Thoughts on Simple

I've been feeling a bit contemplative lately.

It's a state I find myself in every so often for some reason or other. 
Maybe this round of contemplation is because we're into a new season...
 things growing and blooming ~ being surrounded by change.

Maybe it's because I now lay out triathlete gear for my kids....
and wonder where the toys and diaper gear have gone.

Or maybe it's because that within 3 years,
I will have a child who was the same age I was when I got married.

~~~

This week, I went on a picnic....a summer thing to do on my Summer List.
 I met up with a super-dear friend and her kids.
Watching them made me realize how life gets so tangled as we age.

When young~ we hold on to wonder.
We feel amazement.
We have questions and don't even assume there are no answers.
We think but don't analyze.

Laughter is easy and comes often.
Life is simply.....
living.

And then there's a point where life is more than living.
We get caught up in webs of a sort of insanity and a crazy.
For some of us- it may be self-created.
Others- it may be inflicted by those around us.
But life changes.

And we feel like....
we're parked here.

And even if we want to go elsewhere, we seem to stay stuck in the same spot...
even during baseball season.
We seem to have to live at our own risk.
Pummeled by circumstances that just aren't so simple anymore.
~~~~

I'm finding out that in order to stay sane in this not-so-simple life,
I try to find the beauty in the simple.
When it's there I grab it and hold on.
I absorb moments of quiet and just breathe.
I've been trying to laugh when I can- and even try when I seem unable.
I am trying to find the beauty in all things simple.


Ironically,  we knew how to do all this from the beginning.
Maybe it's a matter of re-learning.
Or maybe we just have to uncover what is still there.
Give, Live Simply, Laugh Often, Love Deeply

Once upon a time...we all knew how to do this.
~~~~~

Wishing you all Happy, Simple Weekend.



7 comments:

Sheree said...

Very thought provoking post Dawn. I've been thinking about the natural fun that children are able to have a lot lately. It seems to come up because I don't really like to swim in the pool and Jack asks me why? I don't even know what to tell him. As a child I loved the pool, couldn't get me out of it. If there were anything I would love to find again as an adult, it would be unabated joy. Being able to play naturally....

Wishing you a happy weekend as well!

Kristen said...

Hi Dawn,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed this post. I will definitely be back when I have more time to read. ;)

Cheryl Kohan said...

Well, Dawn, this is a wonderful blog and you are quite the poet!!

I love the phrase you use in your profile "...I'm trying to learn to dance in the rain life sends our way...and truly enjoy the moments of sunshine it sends as well:)..." That's just beautiful! So thanks for stopping by for a visit...I'm looking forward to reading more of your "musings", too.

koralee said...

Love your message today my friend. Made me stop and think of my life.
I will try to enjoy each moment today with my girls....time marches on and on way too fast. Hugs for a great day filled with all the Joys you can find along the way. xoxoxox

Kerri Farley said...

Beautiful post!

Pat Tillett said...

Family memories sure do fall under the bitter sweet category. There is nothing we can do to stop the passage of time. For every phase we lose, we move into a new one with our kids.
great photos and a fantastic narrative...

Nicole Austin said...

well said! and gorgeous photos, too! life is so simple. i think we tend to make things harder than they are sometimes. it's nice to be reminded to slow down, laugh and enjoy life!